Activity Examples & Environmental Communication
Main environmental activities Koganei has done are introduced as follows:
Construction of environmental load reduction factories (E and F buildings)
Construction of building E (completed in 2011) and building F (completed in 2019) has led to significant improvements in energy efficiency, as well as improvements in productivity and quality, such as an expansion of production areas and installation of cleanrooms.
Introduction of the solar power generation system
The solar power generation system installed in building E builds about 430,000 kWh (70 households/day) per year and is working on the use of renewable energy.
Introduction of the indoor temperature management system
By centrally controlling indoor temperature management, we are working to reduce CO2 and electricity charges throughout the year.
Introduction of TV conference / WEB conference system
The introduction of the TV conference / WEB conference system enables in-house training and meetings with overseas offices and is working to reduce CO2 and expenses.
1. Head Office
Head Office is located in Midori-cho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo. There are still many trees remaining around the office: Tokyo Metropolitan Koganei Park, one of the best cherry blossom-viewing spots in Tokyo, and Tamagawa-Josui, a canal well known for a scenic beauty of “Koganei Cherry Trees”, etc. Koganei conducted the following activity in order to protect and preserve as many trees as possible.
In fiscal year 2002, Koganei made a green plan and constructed a north annex of Technical Center preserving as many existing cherry trees as possible. In the spring, the cherry trees are covered in pink blossoms as beautiful as ones in Koganei Park. Not only employees but also local residents are much attracted by the cherry blossoms in the office.
2. Komagane Plant
We aim to balance both agricultural management and the activation of local environment by using unused land as a blueberry farm.
3. Communication with Material Suppliers
Koganei has promoted green procurement in accordance with Koganei Green Partner Program started in 2004. Koganei continues to communicate with suppliers and improve environmental quality.
4. Environmental Education
General Environmental Education
- Considering the environmental aspect of each workshop and job site, environmental education has been performed. From the 2005 fiscal year, the general environmental education was executed for all members of Koganei in order to arouse their awareness of environment.
- This education was concentrated upon law compliance and solvents/wastes management.
- The leaders of the environmental program in each section were trained as internal auditors in order to forward ECO-activities.
- Trainings assuming emergencies/accidents as well as self-imposed trainings for prevention of disasters were performed.
5. Social action programs
- Installed Green Fund vending machines and are helping to raise money for environmental activities.
- Held a group blood drive to contribute to society.
- Koganei has participated Ecocap Movement. The movement collects and recycles plastic bottle caps, encouraging recycling of plastic bottles and reducing CO2 emissions to be released from disposal, while selling the caps to recycling companies and receiving the payment in order to donate vaccines to children across the world.
- Every year we engage in a Clean-up Campaign where we pick up trash around our plants and clean inside the premises.
- Every year we participate in an event called the Environment Picnic along the Tenryu River sponsored by the Ina Techno-valley Regional Center of the Nagano Techno Foundation and cooperate in environmental beautification efforts.